Monday, July 18, 2011

Horrible Bosses-review


Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me for me for me!
I’ve been hearing a lot about how great this movie is.  It is supposed to be super funny and the best comedy of the summer.  I think “Bridesmaids” still has this one beaten. “Horrible Bosses” is a funny movie but it’s was not the side splitting movie I was hoping for. 

The main characters are played by Jason Bateman, Charlie Day, and Jason Sudeikis.  Charlie is, for all intents and purposes, playing his Charlie character from “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” except he has graduated from “Charlie work” at Paddy’s Pub to being a dental assistant. Bateman and Sudeikis take turns as the most milquetoast characters that should be for the part.  Considering that there are three characters it would be nice if you at least made two of them interesting in different ways, instead of two shades of bland.

Mmmm waxy!
The bosses are very fun to watch.  I think Spacey is too often cast as a “know-it- all schmuck.  Since so many people think so much of him as a great actor I’d be impressed to see him play something other than diabolical dickhead or sarcastic sleaze for a change. The two that really were fun to watch were Jennifer Aniston as a sexy dentist that Charlie works for that won’t stop trying to get in his pants.  It’s actually a lot of fun to see her play this sort of role.  Then we have Colin Farrell as the cokehead boss who is a grade a douche.  He was hilarious and it bummed me out that there wasn’t more of him in this movie.

If I didn't have to work for a living I wouldn't sell you my snot.
Throughout the movie you get the feeling that there are gags that they wanted to do or develop more with the interesting bosses but instead they decided to focus mainly on Kevin Spacey. This would have been fine if his plot hadn’t been ludicrous.  In fact if the three main characters had one ounce of spine between them regarding their bosses none of this story would be plausible. 

To sum up though, “Horrible Bosses” is a funny movie.  It’s certainly not the best thing I’ve seen this summer but it did a decent job with what it had.  I had higher expectations for it though considering the cast and that is a bad choice.  If you go into this with a better mindset you are less likely to be as disappointed as I was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment