Thursday, September 23, 2010

Oops they did it again.

When I was in High School I got the Star Wars Trilogy on VHS before it came out in special edition format.  I decided I wasn’t going to go out and buy the trilogy again for the special edition.  It was just not worth it to me.  Eventually I heard about the original trilogy coming out on DVD.  So I bought it.  Sadly it was not as I remembered it.  It was a SUPER special edition.  Where Boba Fett’s voice is changed with a kiwi and the Jedi Spirit of Anakin Skywalker is cast by a most unwelcome Hayden Christensen.
These, of course weren’t the only changes.  Adding Jar Jar to the end of Return of the Jedi yelling “Weesa Free” killed my joy the most.  Still, I guess that Lucas heard the cries of the fan boys. They said “Han shot first.”   Sure enough a few years later he released another set of the trilogy which was supposed to be the original original trilogy.  This time I fell for it AGAIN. This time there were only slight changes but still changes nonetheless.  Now I know I have paid twice for a trilogy that was not even what I wanted.  A fool and his money were parted.  
This wasn’t the only time I paid twice for a trilogy.  When “Lord of the Rings” came out I rushed out to get them all. I was irritated to find out they later had an extended version planned out.  Luckily I missed those and waited just enough time to get the set that mixed the two varieties together.  So now I have a theatrical and extended version of “Lord of the Rings.”  Does the sickness end there?
Well now I just found out that in early October that they plan on releasing "Grindhouse" as it was seen in theaters.  So “Planet Terror” and “Death Proof” including all the fake previews they screwed you out of when you bought the separate DVDs.  That is weak.  Is every movie now going to do a director’s cut version too?  Nothing like getting something you like and realizing that they were planning on making a sucker out of you within a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment